Thursday, January 19, 2012

Twas the night before Optifast...

Twas the night before fasting, when all thru the house
Not a crumb cake in sight, not even a tollhouse

The cupboards were cleaned with love and with care,
Eliminating carbs and sweets as the lap band would soon be here

Lisa was nestled all snug in her bed,
While visions of Protein shakes danced in her head


The table was lined with broth and with jello
Hoping a 2 week fast won't stray me from mellow



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




The part I have been dreading the most is officially here tomorrow.  Two weeks of Optifast, SF jello and broth. I am going out with a bang this week and having cocktails and dinners with friends and the mister.  I am not going overboard in food choices but am definitely enjoying my week a bit.  Tonight, for the official "Last Supper" - we are heading to our favorite French Brasserie in downtown. Thursdays are always hopping so hopefully will be fun.

I picked up my 2 weeks supply of Optifast and realized when I was home, it's enough for 5 shakes a day. I am only allowed to have 3 a day however. So I had to pay $230.00 for 3 cases of this stuff which I think is a money making scam.  They said I can use it after. By then, I will be on different shakes if needed and not this tasty crap in a box.

Anyways - just venting. I think while my surgeon is fantastic and he is part of the center of excellence, I think he nickels and dimes you as often as they can. 

I am also curious as to why there are SO many variations of a 2 week PreOp diet. Some are allowed a healthy dinner at night, others no PreOp diet at all. Myself, I am not allowed any real food. 3 boxes of Optifast which are the size of a juice box and as much delightful low sodium broth and sugar free popsicles and jello one can handle. 
So many variations of this, I wish it was more streamlined.  Would make the process easier.


I will give you a for-instance.
3 surgeons who perform the info sessions, are all partners and are all part of the COE. 
2 surgeons offer Protein Shakes variations which are super cost effective and cheaper. They also allow a sensible dinner each evening of 3-4oz of grilled chicken and green veggies.
I already stated what mine does.
So why the difference?  I am just curious?  The point is to shrink the liver and lose weight. Optifast nutrients have a lot of sugars so that is strange. I think maybe if I knew all of the data upfront, I would have chose the other surgeon. I think they should give you all the details and all the costs up front.  I noticed a few posts on their message board for someone asking about other options if they couldn't afford Optifast.  Noone from the staff replied.  It's mandatory. Once I put my deposit down, I was then told that it was a necessary evil.


Oh well...  What were your PreOp diets 2 weeks prior to surgery? 

4 comments:

  1. yeah!!!! its time to get skinny!
    I went on Opti-fast 10 years ago and lost 100lbs....but I gained it back....I did notice I dreamt about food a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So EXCITING!!!
    I remember my "Last Supper" well.. it was fantastic!!!
    For my pre-op, I was allowed chickend and green vegetables and had to have two shakes a day. I lost 27lbs in those 2 weeks! it was awesome!! I think every doctor is different, but whatever works to get that Liver shrunk, it's gotta be done!
    Good luck! My 2 weeks weren't that bad.. just think about where you are going and you'll make it through!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was allowed any protein shake of my choice as long as it had at least 20 grams of protein and less then 5 gm of sugar...I could also blend then with any fruits of my desire 1/2 cup worth...2 shakes a day and one meal with a lean protein, 1 c chicken broth, 1 small salad with lemon juice dressing no fat dressing of any kind and a 1/2 c cooked or 1 c raw veggie along with all the sugar free Popsicles and sf jello I wanted...to be honest it was not too bad and I rarely had the broth with my food just the meat, veggie and salad...lost 15 pounds...good luck you will do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa! Just wanted to check in and see how opti fast is going! are you hanging in there?

    ReplyDelete

Send me some love, I am needy!