Well - my stomach officially woke up. I actually was woken up from the loud rumbling last night. Living on about 100 calories was not cutting it.
I am however feeling much better. Still some port pain but so much better than day 2 & 3. I feel excited now as I am able to do more things each day within reason.
So - for those of you who have been reading awhile - you may remember when I decided to break the rules in pre-op diet of chemical shakes the surgeons office prescribed me. I blogged about it HERE
Well - I received quite a few private notes, emails and more from people who thought being on clear liquids for two weeks was a bit extreme.
Then I noticed something interesting. When I left the hospital, they gave me a book from Allergan, the makers of the LapBand. It had a full diet in there of what I should be doing. On top of the booklet was a stapled paper that said DIET CHANGE. It basically states to not do what Allergan states but instead do two weeks liquid because I will loose more weight. Yah, I am sure I would lose a ton but I am also starving, having the shakes and getting dizzy.
Then I went back to the online powerpoint presentation that the 2nd surgeon in the practice has on her site.
Her diet states:
Clear Liquids - For Day 1
Post Op - Full Liquids for days 2-13
Soft Foods - Days 14-29
Post Op Diet - Regular - Day 30
So I made another executive decision. I had a small protein shake, very thin with half almond milk and half water. Barely any carbs or sugars. It finally took the edge off, my dizziness went away and it kept me full for over 5 hours.
I supplemented with a lot of Propel Zero and Water.
For dinner, I am having a small amount of creamy soup and I can't wait! Finally some warm flavor.
I am down almost 17 pounds since my Pre-Op. I think that is fabulous but I want to do it healthy. I need a bit of energy to start walking and not feel dizzy when I stand up.
So all in all - I am a band rebel. But I promise to not push anything else. I will do this for 2 weeks and not push any more limits.


You know your body better than anyone, my dear banded buddy - you're not going off the deep end and driving through Wendys, you're advancing very mindfully to the next stage of the post-op diet. (and that second surgeon's schedule is the one I'll be one - going home to full liquids from the hospital) - You should be very proud of yourself!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chris!! I totally agree. It's not like I am being a banshee and eating a steak over here lol. I definitely feel better with some nutrients in me. I am not made for liquid diets. Ick!
DeleteYou are going to rock that scale! Can't wait to hear updates!
ReplyDeleteI was a rebel too. I was reasonable and listened to my body and my doctor said I've done remarkable. I couldn't handle just liquids. I needed a bit more and took it very slow. Be proud of you progress You are doing great!
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best! A loss of 17#'s is awesome! Congrats!
ReplyDeletecongratulations! What great news 17 lbs gone (I'd say lost but that implies you might find them again :D).
ReplyDelete17lbs holy crap! you go girl!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the great WL. I was a rebel too...conflicting info from my (then) Doc and the NUT and I was about to pass out. Only one caution at this point that I didn't know then...this is the time when you're most likely to cause a complication until healing is done...it's better to eat lots of very small meals then to eat 3x a day, and also to keep in mind that if you progress to even thick mushies too soon, the muscles around your stomach churn and move more, naturally to digest, and the movement is what causes the problems with healing. You're doing great!!!
ReplyDelete